This year’s Charitable Giving in the USA 2019 Report has been released, and we love having some new insights into the charitable giving habits of Americans. Many aspects of the nonprofit industry are still struggling, but it is encouraging to see the number of people taking part in charitable activity and volunteerism rising.
Here are some of the key findings from this year’s Charitable Giving in the USA Report:
- 70 percent of those surveyed were involved in a charitable activity in the last 12 months, compared to 62 percent in 2017.
- 62 percent of Americans gave a monetary contribution in the last 12 months, compared with 55 percent in 2017.
- Religious organizations continue to be the most popular causes to donate to in America, receiving 38 percent of charitable gifts.
- 35 percent of those surveyed have volunteered in the last year, which is also up from 31% in 2017. Religious organizations are the most popular causes to volunteer with (36%)
- The average donation in the past 12 months was $461, which is a $79 increase from 2017.
- The most popular forms of giving are cash and online (using a debit or credit card), both comprising 39 percent of giving forms.
- 73 percent of Americans said that charities have had a positive influence on their local community, on America and on the world.
- 47 percent of people said that they would donate more if they had more money, and 40 percent said that knowing for sure how their money would be spent is the second top reason that they would donate more
- The top reason for giving (53 percent) was caring about the cause, while the second reason for donating (42 percent) was helping those less fortunate.
There is always room for growth, but the numbers covered by the report are encouraging. And not only that, but we expect (and hope that) the numbers will continue to rise. Reports have shown that millennials are the most generous generation, and with this generation taking over the workforce, we are hoping to see a positive impact when it comes to philanthropy.
Here’s to another charitable year!