I’ve apparently been under a rock for the last month, because I missed this great article from The Chronicle of Philanthropy. Just in case you missed it as well, here’s the link: http://philanthropy.com/article/Most-Charities-Forecast-Rise/138303/ .
The article has a number of interesting highlights, not the least of which is an infographic I find very informative. It shows what types of gifts (such as online, planned, major, etc.) increased, stayed the same, and decreased in 2012. The infographic is at the end of the article, but here are some of the takeaways included in the article:
- 58% of charities saw increased giving in 2012
- Upwards of 7 in 10 expect increased donations in 2013
- Nonprofits are planning to invest in technology to aid in fundraising this year
- Organizations that focused on asking for bequests in 2012 saw an increase in bequests made, even from donors who were unable to make an annual gift
- Organizations that sent thank you notes (in any form) to donors within 48 hours of a donation fared better than those who did not.
If you haven’t had a chance to read the article, I recommend it. It’s informative and easy-to-digest.