India is in the midst of a COVID-19 crisis that has overwhelmed hospitals and caused a surge in COVID-related deaths. In the past month, about 58,000 people have died, which makes up a quarter of India’s total 222,000 deaths since the pandemic started last year. According to PBS, “experts estimate that the recent jump in COVID-related deaths could be up to five times greater than official counts.”
With the spread of new variants, short supply of vaccines, understaffed hospitals and limited equipment are making this crisis among the worst outbreaks in the world.
Many organizations are stepping up to provide supplies and aid to India, as well as serve India’s most marginalized communities. PBS listed some of the reputable ones and we encourage you to donate, if you’re able, to help India get through the COVID surge.
- Direct Relief: Direct Relief is working to combat the oxygen shortage by distributing concentrators, as well as other medical supplies.
- Oxygen for India: This campaign was organized by the international Center for Disease Dynamics, Economics & Policy and has set up help desks at hospitals across India to help people get access to oxygen cylinders and concentrators for free.
- Project HOPE: Project HOPE is a global aid organization that is now focusing its efforts on distributing medical supplies and educating communities on how to stop the spread of COVID-19.
- Association for India’s Development: This grassroots organization is working to donate PPE and oxygen supplies to hospitals across the country.
- American India Foundation: AIF is providing medical supplies and PPE to frontline workers, in addition to educating communities about COVID-19.
- The Indian Red Cross Society: The Indian chapter of the Red Cross is providing medical resources to hospitals across India.
- GoFundMe: Check out some of the reputable campaigns happening on GoFundMe!
- Indian Muslim Relief & Charities: This charitable organization focuses specifically on India’s Muslim community. They are currently distributing food packages, providing home medical kits and donating money to school teachers while their schools are shut down.
- Khalsa Aid: Khalsa Aid is a Sikh humanitarian organization that is currently providing support for medical programs in vulnerable communities.
- The Transgender Welfare Equity and Empowerment Trust: This organization is raising funds to support transgender Indians who are often rejected by their families and communities, making them higher risk for COVID.
- Care India: This is a humanitarian organization that focuses on marginalized women and girls but is now also focusing on providing PPE for frontline workers in India.
- Make A Difference: This international nonprofit supports children who are in need of protection. Donations will help children in 65 different shelters in 23 cities.
Our thoughts go out to all those in India. Have an organization that you recommend donating to? Put it in the comments below!